The Cabinet Guy, LLC  - Custom cabinetry for kitchens, bathrooms, office and other rooms
RSS Follow

Delivered by FeedBurner

Recent Posts

Visit My Personal Blog Website
The Cost of Running a Custom Cabinet Business
"Perfection" in Woodworking and Construction
Remodeling Your Kitchen? “Piece of Cake” NOT!!!
Cabinet sizes and why they are what they are

Categories

Remodeling insight
Remodeling problems
Replacing Conuntertops with New Granite
powered by

My Blog

New Granite Counters Make the Old Cabinets Look Old

Over the last several years we have had many customers who put new granite countertops on their old cabinets only to find that the new tops make the old cabinets look really bad. It's kind of like getting a new paint job on a convertible but keeping the old worn out cloth top - the shiny new paint makes the convertible top look even worse in comparison. We helped them out by either refacing the cabinets (new doors on old cabinets) or detailing the existing cabinet fronts (cleaning, repairing, touching up and overcoating the existing doors with a new coat of varnish). Many of these clients said that in retrospect they wished they had replaced the cabinets.

While refacing cabinets is generally less than replacement (but not always) it is more expensive than most people realize. The companies that sell refacing only will often tell you that  you are saving over 50% compared to the cost of new cabinets. However, this is seldom true because 80% of the cost of the cabinet is in the front frame and door.

We recently did 2 refacings. One big kitchen (42 doors, 28 drawer fronts, new drawer glides and some modifications) cost $10,500 to reface the old white-washed maple fronts (really yellow and ugly) with glazed cherrywood doors with applied molding (very fancy). To replace the cabinets would have been about $14,000. The other job ran $5,000 (much simpler) but would have only run $6,000 for new cabinets!

Right now we are in the middle of detailing existing oak cabinets for $2900. This involves cleaning and repairing the old oak doors and drawer fronts (about 35 pieces) and applying a new coat of varnish over the old finish to make everything look new. We are also replacing the drawer glides on the existing drawers with full extension side mount glides. These folks were happy with the oak cabinets but wanted them to look new.

If you are thinking of just replacing the countertops consider all of this. We would be glad to help you make the right decision for you by quoting pricing on replacement, refacing and detailing so you have all the information you need.

If you have already replaced your counters we awill be glad to work with you on detailing or refacing. Just call or email us.

18 Comments to New Granite Counters Make the Old Cabinets Look Old:

Comments RSS
Raleigh Cabinets on Monday, February 20, 2012 4:49 AM
I like that you can always resurface a cabinet.

Luis Fitter on Sunday, May 15, 2016 4:51 AM
Greetings, I have to say it was a really wonderful experience for me when I dropped by at your website. I hope you don't mind if I compliment you on the quality of the work and to send you the best of luck with it as you develop into the future. It was nice to surf your site and I shall obviously be stopping by again before long to see how you are doing. All the best and I shall see you here soon - Jerimiah Lesson

Stone range hoods on Friday, February 15, 2013 11:28 PM
Very INFORMATIVE and just FANTASTIC! I was looking for the related information. Thanks a lot it is very useful for me. Would love to read some pieces on the topic.

Aqua Mix on Sunday, February 17, 2013 11:24 PM
Black granite and designer granite is most preferable stone for counter part of cabins and kitchens. It looks good but we need to select a best quality and designing.

Kitchen renovation sydney on Thursday, March 21, 2013 8:59 PM
I came to know about some of very good points about Granite Counters Through your post. Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful post with us.

guided tours china on Sunday, April 14, 2013 5:52 AM
Great post. I was checking constantly this blog and I'm impressed! Very useful information specially the last part :) I care for such information much. I was seeking this certain info for a very long time. Thank you and good luck.

Hari Pot on Saturday, April 20, 2013 4:37 AM

paper bag making machine on Monday, June 10, 2013 2:23 PM
Undeniably believe that which you said. Your favorite reason seemed to be on the web the easiest thing to be aware of. I say to you, I definitely get irked while people think about worries that they plainly do not know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top and also defined out the whole thing without having side-effects , people could take a signal. Will probably be back to get more. Thanks

williams on Friday, July 26, 2013 12:45 AM
Thansk

custom hinges on Monday, August 05, 2013 5:49 AM
Nice content with lots of information! I'm thinking to change my kitchen cabinet. After visiting your content I've found lots of idea about cabinet replacing which is helpful for me. Thanks for this lovely allocation.

Student lettings service at Leicester on Thursday, September 12, 2013 3:07 AM
People generally starts renovating their house in the Christmas season. So i think they have to spend the money carefully because in these days the contractors costs higher.

Primo Remodelling on Sunday, December 14, 2014 11:58 PM
..Hey great work.. I loved this post..Thanks for sharing this information. Floor Base Boards Davie

granite colorado springs on Wednesday, January 21, 2015 10:07 PM
Really blogging is spreading its wings quickly.

Primo Remodelling on Tuesday, March 17, 2015 9:29 PM
Aww I loved this post. Mind blowing , it's surprising... Kitchen Cabinets Door Davie

Primo Remodelling on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 1:36 AM
Aww I loved this post. Mind blowing , it's surprising... Kitchen Remodel Davie

Option Tips on Friday, February 26, 2016 2:41 AM
Great Work. I have seen many time, you doing work something different and latest pattern.

Stone Mosaic Exporter India on Monday, June 06, 2016 11:34 PM
Really granite is more durable and harder than marble. Granite Manufacturers India also suggests granite slabs for your kitchen and bathroom. Granite tiles are also available in the market but it is more expensive than other natural stone. It is good investment for your home.

Marble Tops RI on Sunday, November 27, 2016 10:59 PM
the most common matter is we all always are like to use new things like dress, furniture etc. at present we are having lots of designers counters, granite counters. that is why we are losing interest on our old cabinet. actually the age of cabinet uses are finished, now it's the time for counters.